To commemorate World Diabetes Day on 14TH November 2019, HelpAge India-Manali MobiHealth Unit providing quality free medical services to elders in and around Manali had organized an Awareness and Quiz Programme on “Diabetes” in Madhavaram. The main objective of the program is to create a “healthier society by popularizing preventive measures and to promote health”
Every year, November 14 is observed as World Diabetes Day by WHO and International Diabetes Federation (IDF) to mark the birth anniversary of Frederick Banting, Who discovered Insulin. For 2019, the theme is “Family and Diabetes”.
The facilitator was J.Samuel Joshua- SPO and Bindhu.G – Pharmacist clearly explained the follow points.
Diabetes is a disease in which blood glucose, or blood sugar levels in the body are too high.
Symptoms of Diabetes
- Frequent urination
- Increased thirst and increased hunger
- Sudden loss of weight
Prevention and treatment
- Prevention and treatment involve maintaining a healthy diet.
- Taking regular physical exercise- walk for 30 minutes per day.
- Ensuring normal body weight.
- Control of blood pressure and maintaining proper foot care.
- Treatment includes medication prescribed by the Doctor, regular blood/urine tests to check if.
- Medication is working to satisfaction and appropriately changing medicine dosage.
- In some cases insulin injections may be required.
Foods to eat or avoid
- Sugar should be avoided in any form- in tea, colas, sweet dishes.
- Flour, white bread, too much rice, biscuits should be avoided.
- Eat high fibre cereals like whole wheat, bajra, jawar etc.
Avoid too much potato and tapioca.
- Consume lots of green leafy vegetables and other vegetables.
Other related Diseases
If left untreated, diabetes can cause many complications like heart disease, stroke, chronic
kidney failure, foot ulcers, and damage to the eyes.
Apart from awareness Programme, J.Samuel Joshua – SPO conducted Quiz Program for elders
TEST DIABETES KNOWLEDGE WITH QUIZ
A. EXCESSIVE THIRST IS POSSIBLE WARNING SIGN FOR DIABETES- TRUE OR FALSE? Ans. is TRUE.
B. PEOPLE WITH DIABETES OFTEN LOSE THEIR SENSE OF SMELL- TRUE OR FALSE? Ans. is FALSE.
C. HAIR LOSS CAN INDICATE WHETHER OR NOT YOU HAVE DIABETES- TRUE OR FALSE? Ans. is FALSE.
D. FREQUENT URINATION IS POSSIBLE WARNING SIGN FOR DIABETES- TRUE OR FALSE? Ans. is TRUE.
E. PEOPLE WITH DIABETES CAN EXPERIENCE NUMBNESS IN THEIR HANDS AND FEET- TRUE OR FALSE? Ans. is TRUE.
F. PEOPLE WITH DIABETES CANNOT EAT SWEET FOOD- TRUE OR FALSE? Ans. is FALSE. Comment- People with diabetes can eat sweet food but, like everyone else, should avoid eating too many foods high in sugar for general good health and wellbeing.
G. DIABETES CAN BE A LIFE-THREATENING CONDITION- TRUE OR FALSE? Ans. is TRUE.
H. YOU CANNOT CATCH DIABETES FROM ANOTHER PERSON- TRUE OR FALSE? Ans. is TRUE.
I. PEOPLE WITH DIABETES SHOULD NOT EXERCISE- TRUE OR FALSE? Ans. is FALSE.
J.Samuel Joshua – SPO interacted with 49 elderly beneficiaries (18 Male and 31 Female) and explained the importance of “Prevention is better than cure”.It is good to see a doctor for treatment of disease but it is far better to take preventive measure to prevent the disease.Many assured that they would incoporate the following point in their daily living. Awareness pamphlets were distributed to the elderly beneficiaries.
For further details contact
Social Protection officer